This class focuses on the ten steps of the Canine Good Citizen (CGC) test. The Canine Good Citizen class teaches good manners to dogs and responsible dog ownership to their owners.
Items include: *
- Accepting a friendly stranger
- Sitting politely for petting
- Appearance and grooming
- Out for a walk – walking politely on a loose lead
- Walking through a crowd
- Sit and down on command and Staying in place
- Coming when called
- Reacting politely to another dog
- Reacting calmly to distraction
- Supervised separation – maintaining manners with another (trusted) person
The 10-step CGC test is a non-competitive test for all dogs, including purebreds and mixed breeds. As part of the CGC class, owners will sign the Responsible Dog Owners Pledge.
The CGC test is given at the last class.
For more information on the CGC test please see the American Kennel Club’s Canine Good Citizen Test.
* Adapted from the AKC website